BUSINESS TAX LAW
“Any one may so arrange his affairs so that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which best pays the treasury; there is not even a patriotic duty to increase one’s taxes.” – Judge Learned Hand, Helvering v. Gregory, 69 F.2d 809 (1934)
In addition to providing business law counsel, the attorneys at Friedman, Dever & Merlin also provide business tax and tax planning counsel for our clients. All of our business attorneys have advanced degrees (LL.M’s) and/or or substantial experience in tax law, and we approach all business transactions with a keen sensitivity to tax issues. This expertise allows us to structure business transactions in a manner that will accomplish our clients’ business goals, while minimizing adverse tax consequences.
Our tax attorneys routinely advise our clients on the federal and state tax treatment of various business transactions, and strategies for accomplishing business goals in a tax-efficient manner.
Tax planning assistance frequently includes:
- Advising on choice of business entities such as C corporations, S corporations, limited partnerships and limited liability companies (LLCs)
- Tax planning relating to the purchase and sale of the stock and/or assets of a business
- Structuring non-taxable reorganizations such as mergers, acquisitions and spin-offs, and other tax-free exchanges
- Drafting complex limited partnership and LLC agreements for operating businesses and investment funds.
- Advising on corporate and partnership tax issues
- Creating nonqualified incentive compensation plans such as stock options, stock appreciation and phantom stock plans, and bonus programs
- Obtaining tax-exempt charity status for nonprofit organizations
- Tax appeals and U.S. Tax Court litigation
- Drafting private letter ruling requests on corporate and nonprofit tax issues
Before you make a business decision that could trigger tax problems, talk to us first. From offices in Atlanta, our attorneys are prepared to represent clients in communities throughout Georgia and the United States. Call or email Friedman, Dever & Merlin, to schedule a confidential consultation.